The entire series will appear under the title "The Unauthorized Guide to Trek".The new edition of Mr. Van Hise's books will feature additional photographs taken by him personally during his three decades chronicling the shows, movies, and the cultural phenomenon Star Trek became.
Beginning in June, DPS will release the following books under the Unauthorized Guide to Trek series title:
Gene Roddenberry: The Man Who Created a Phenomenon
Leonard Nimoy: The Man Who Was Spock
The TOS Years (1966 - 1969)
The Movie Years (1979-1991)
The Complete TOS Crew Book: The Characters and the ActorsThe first book issued, fittingly enough, features a look into the private life and public accomplishments of the man responsible for the vision that became Star Trek.
Readers will learn:
- the childhood circumstances that led to Roddenberry's passion for science fiction;
- how his early days as a police officer gained him entry, later in his life as a writer, into the newly burgeoning field of television;
- about the bitter behind-the-scenes battles to keep the Star Trek true to Roddenberry's vision of a diverse and pacifistic future where conflicts were solved more often with brains than weapons;
- the reasons for the constant scene and plot changes in the movies as they were being shot;
- which actors loved him—and which...not so much—and why;
- how Roddenberry trained the next generation of Star Trek television producers to realize his vision after his death, and how that training influenced Star Trek: The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and beyond;
- and much much more.
Look for more news about The Unauthorized Guide to Trek and Gene Roddenberry: The Man who Created a Phenomenon, coming soon from Digital Parchment Services.
James Van Hise is a well-known journalist specializing in film, television, and comic history. A long-time fan turned media historian, Van Hise’s credentials as both writer and editor are extensive. He was the editor of the pivotal comix zine Rocket Blast Comic Collector (1974-8) and the pioneering Enterprise Incidents: The Magazine for Star Trek Fans (1976-85). In the comic field he has written stories for Dread of Night, Green Hornet, Ray Bradbury Comics, and Real Ghostbusters, among others. As a journalist Van Hise has authored books on Batman, Dune, Conan, Star Wars, The Lone Ranger, Dick Tracy, Stephen King, and Star Trek.